martes, 23 de febrero de 2016

Vestibule of the J. H. White residence, Fisher Hill, Brookline. Massachusetts 1880-81. Architect. Peabody and Stearns. Standing.





Owner: Vestibule of the J. H. White residence, Fisher Hill, Brookline. Massachusetts 1880-81. Architect. Peabody and Stearns. Standing.



Mención a esta foto la encontramos en .


The largest estate on the south side of the hill was built by dry goods magnate Joseph H.White in 1881-82 (541-45 Boylston St.). White's house and carriage barn, though still standing, are surrounded by recent development. It was designed by the prominent Boston firm of Peabody & Stearns and was pictured in L'Architecture Americaine. published in Paris in 1886. Frederick Law Olmsted was hired to plan the landscaping for this estate, although little evidence remains of his work. 


Photographer Albert Levy. Posts

Albert Levy. Fotografía antigua Houlgate. Arquitecto Baumier.

Albert Levy's Photographic Series of Modern American Architecture: New Haven Connecticut

Albert Levy.James Converse Residence 347 Beacon Street Boston. Fotografo J.H. Besarick architect

Albert Levy The Philadelphia Photographer. Dry Plates. French Photographic emulsion.Boston Public Library


Wikipedia
The Fisher Hill Historic District encompasses a residential area in central Brookline, Massachusetts. The area was subdivided and built out beginning in the 1880s, with landscaping design by Frederick Law Olmsted and John Charles Olmsted. The district is bounded on the west by Chestnut Hill Avenue, Baxter Road, and Channing Road, and on the south by Massachusetts Route 9. Its eastern boundary runs along Buckminster Street to Dean Road, joining the northern boundary of Clinton Road, running between Dean Road and Chestnut Hill Avenue. Prior to its development in the 1880s, Fisher Hill had a relatively small number of landowners. Some of them banded together, hiring the Olmsteds to design a subdivision plan for the entire district. Lots were sold to wealthy individuals, who built fashionable houses, often designed by architects. In 1914 a restrictive covenant was entered into by a significant number of property owners, restricting their properties to strictly single-family residential uses.
The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Standing with our backs against the piazza door..we see a wide oaken stairway, of easy ascent, and at its right an entrance into the billard room...The walls are wainscoted to a height of five feet, and then tinted in Indian Red, which, together with tints of gold, brown, and gray, appear again the panels of the heavily beamed...there is a large center-table, eight feet long by five feet wide, on which in addition to a variety o choice books, appear vases filled with fucsias, English primroses and umbrella ferns...

Artist houses, being a series of interior views of a number of the most beautiful and celebrated homes in the United States.