lunes, 23 de octubre de 2017

L'Architecture Americaine. American building interiors. 1880-83. New York, Boston, Chicago etc. Albert Levy Photographer





Illustrated Boston. The Metropolis. 
1889
Published by American Publishing and Engraving Co.
102 Chambers St. New York 
  • Open in the page of Architect.William Ralph Emerson






  
Owner: Vestibule of the J. H. White residence, Fisher Hill, Brookline. Massachusetts 1880-81. Architect. Peabody and Stearns. Standing.

Standing with our backs against the piazza door..we see a wide oaken stairway, of easy ascent, and at its right an entrance into the billard room...The walls are wainscoted to a height of five feet, and then tinted in Indian Red, which, together with tints of gold, brown, and gray, appear again the panels of the heavily beamed...there is a large center-table, eight feet long by five feet wide, on which in addition to a variety o choice books, appear vases filled with fucsias, English primroses and umbrella ferns...

Artist houses, being a series of interior views of a number of the most beautiful and celebrated homes in the United States.

Mención a esta foto la encontramos en .


The largest estate on the south side of the hill was built by dry goods magnate Joseph H.White in 1881-82 (541-45 Boylston St.). White's house and carriage barn, though still standing, are surrounded by recent development. It was designed by the prominent Boston firm of Peabody & Stearns and was pictured in L'Architecture Americaine. published in Paris in 1886. Frederick Law Olmsted was hired to plan the landscaping for this estate, although little evidence remains of his work. 

Wikipedia
The Fisher Hill Historic District encompasses a residential area in central Brookline, Massachusetts. The area was subdivided and built out beginning in the 1880s, with landscaping design by Frederick Law Olmsted and John Charles Olmsted. The district is bounded on the west by Chestnut Hill Avenue, Baxter Road, and Channing Road, and on the south by Massachusetts Route 9. Its eastern boundary runs along Buckminster Street to Dean Road, joining the northern boundary of Clinton Road, running between Dean Road and Chestnut Hill Avenue. Prior to its development in the 1880s, Fisher Hill had a relatively small number of landowners. Some of them banded together, hiring the Olmsteds to design a subdivision plan for the entire district. Lots were sold to wealthy individuals, who built fashionable houses, often designed by architects. In 1914 a restrictive covenant was entered into by a significant number of property owners, restricting their properties to strictly single-family residential uses.
The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.



Architect: W. R. Emerson
Owner: Vestibule of a summer residence

William Ralph Emerson (March 11, 1833 – November 23, 1917) was an American architect. He partnered with Carl Fehmer in Emerson and Fehmer.

Emerson was born in Alton, Illinois, a cousin of Ralph Waldo Emerson, and trained in the office of Jonathan Preston (1801–1888), an architect–builder in Boston, Massachusetts. He formed an architectural partnership with Preston (1857–1861), practiced alone for two years, then partnered with Carl Fehmer (1864–1873). On September 15, 1873 he married Sylvia Hathaway Watson.
He is best known for his Shingle Style houses and inns. He worked with fellow Boston designer Frederick Law Olmsted on the creation of the National Zoo in Washington, D.C., designing several of the zoo's first buildings.
Emerson was a friend to the Boston painter William Morris Hunt, who painted a portrait of Emerson's son Ralph, shown at an exhibition of Hunt's work at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts in 1880.
Emerson died in Milton, Massachusetts.



Architect: W. R. Emerson
Owner: Vestibule of a summer residence

Bibliografía sobre este arquitecto

The Architecture of William Ralph Emerson 1833-1917 by Cynthia Zaitzevsky
Review by: Eleanor Pearson
Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians
Vol. 32, No. 3 (Oct., 1973), pp. 250-253
Published by: University of California Press on behalf of the Society of Architectural Historians


Architect: L. T. Schofield
Owner: Private residence. Cleveland .Dining-room Buffet

Levi T. Scofield. (1842-1917), the designer of this sculptural dining room buffet, was noted for his public monuments: Soldiers' and Sailors' Monumente in Public Square Cleveland

SCOFIELD, LEVI T. - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History



Architect: Burling and Whitehouse. A. Fiedler (decorator)
Owner: Dining-room of the S. M. Nickerson residence

Three rooms from the Samuel M. Nickerson Residence. 40 East Erie Street Chicago. 1883 ( American Victorian Architecture A Survey of the 7's and 80's in contemporary photographs. Arnold Lewis and Keith Morgan)

The dining room, smooking room and bedroom are all from the S.M. Nickerson residence. These rooms were closely described in Artistic Houses which noted the flemish Renaissence style  on the dining room, the high wainscoating of the smoking room whith shelves for "collected bria à brac ", and the general finish of the bedroom with high waisncoating and a canvas ceiling divided by wooden or brass moldings. 




Architect: Burling and Whitehouse. A. Fiedler (decorator)
Owner: Smoking-room of the S. M. Nickerson residence


Digital libraries Saic Edu

Title/Project Name Nickerson, Samuel M., Residence
Alternate Title/Project Name R.H. Love Galleries
Street Address/Neighborhood 40 E. Erie St.
City Chicago
State/Province Illinois
Country United States
Date Designed or Built 1883
Architect/Designer/Creator Burling and Whitehouse
Date of View c.1885-1900
View or Detail Type Exterior
Image Notes view from SW
Caption/Inscription Text BRC: 11
Photographer Taylor, J.W. [Chicago]




Architect:  H. H. Richardson
Owner: Fireplace of the Oakes Ames Memorial Library ( Standford White )

The mantel from the North Easton Library shows the strong influence of the English Pre Raphaelites. Henry-Russell Hitchcock believes than the mantes was designed by Stanford White, then a draughtsman in Richardson' office. Except for a decorative mantel in Austin Hall this fireplace design is a unique example in Richardson' work

Henry Russell The architecture of H.H. Richardson and his times. MIT press. 1961. 186-187 

Wikipedia

The Ames Free Library is a public library designed by noted American architect H. H. Richardson. It is located at 53 Main Street, Easton, Massachusetts, immediately adjacent to another Richardson building, Oakes Ames Memorial Hall.
The library was built from 1877 to 1879, although it did not open until March 10, 1883. It is generally rectangular, with broad gable projecting from its north end and a rectangular tower rising where the gable meets the main mass. The gable's front facade contains a heavily arched entry on the first floor and a row of five arched windows separated by pairs of short columns above. The facade is light-brown Milford granite laid in random ashlar with reddish-brown Longmeadow brownstone trim. Its roof is red-orange tile. A children's wing (red brick) was added in 1931, eliminating the original lavatory and document room.
Within, the library's major rooms, stack wing, hall, and reading room are laid out longitudinally. The reading room's fireplace is primarily by Stanford White, and the stone and bronze medallions of Oliver Ames were designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens.


Architect: Peabody and Stearns
Owner: Fireplace of ladies' parlor of the R. H. White and company Warehouse Store. 30 Bedford Street, Boston, Massachussets. 1881.

  • Appelton Artistic Houses. 
The walls are of plaster, painted many times in a low, deep tint, suggestive of old gold, the inclosing the clock is a glass mosaic, and the inmense fireplace has a fancing Victoria marble, a lining and heart of glazed tile, and a back of iron

American Architect and building.News.  XVI ( September 6, 1884) 117
Artistic Houses. New York, D. Appelton



Architect: H. J. Schwartzmann and Company
owner: Music room and conservatoy of a Private Residence. New York. 

Herman   J. Schwartzmann 1843-1891) was the Architect in Chief of the 1876 Centennial in Philadelphia where he designed Memorial Hall and Horticultural Hall. Following the close of the exhibition he moved to New York City and established a partnership with Alfred Buchman which lasted until 1890. 

Whitney, Henry F.  an Elsie R. Biographical Dictionary of American Architects ( deceased) Los Angels. New Age publishing Company 1956. 542-543.


Architect: Burling and Whitehouse. A. Fiedler (decorator)
Owner: Bedroom of the S. M. Nickerson residence

The Richard H. Driehaus Museum immerses visitors in one of the grandest residential buildings of 19th-century Chicago, the Gilded Age home of banker Samuel Mayo Nickerson. 

The Life and Work of Edward J. Burling, Architect



Wikipedia
The Samuel M. Nickerson House, located at 40 East Erie Street in the Near North Side neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois, is a Chicago Landmark. It was designed by Edward J. Burling of the firm of Burling and Whitehouse and built for Samuel and Mathilda Nickerson in 1883. Samuel M. Nickerson was a prominent figure in the rising national banking industry, who was said to have owned at one point more national bank stock than anyone else in the United States.
The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and today is home to the Richard H. Driehaus Museum.







Architect: G. W. Lloyd
0wner: Bar room




CHICAGO TONIGHT. ARTBEAT CHICAGO.DRIEHAUS MUSEUM. YOU TUBE




No hay comentarios: