lunes, 30 de noviembre de 2015

A collection of American pictorial photographs as arranged by the Photo-Secession and exhibited under the auspices of the Camera Club of Pittsburg, at the Art Galleries of the Carnegie Institute, Pittsburg, February MDCCCCIV



Such photographs emphasized the role of the photographer as craftsman and countered the argument that photography was an entirely mechanical medium. Alfred Stieglitz was the most prominent spokesperson for these photographers in America, and in 1902 he and several like-minded associates in the New York Camera Club—including Gertrude Käsebier (33.43.132), Alvin Langdon Coburn (1987.1100.13), and Frank Eugene (55.635.12)—broke away from the club to form what they dubbed the Photo-Secession. The group held exhibitions of their work in a space donated by Edward Steichen called the Little Galleries of the Photo-Secession (known familiarly as "291" for its address on Fifth Avenue) and published a quarterly magazine edited by Stieglitz entitled Camera Work.